Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thanksgiving

So I noticed some of us, myself included, are looking forward to Christmas time; it is a time where there are pretty lights and of course presents to be had. I'm sure they celebrate something similar to Christmas in Japan, but I am curious whether anyone is doing anything spectacular for Thanksgiving? I think that is one holiday they don't celebrate world wide, more or less, in America we just eat a bunch of fancy foods, although the trademark of the holiday is a turkey, so you need to have that. Other than that though the food folks bring is free game, personally, my family brings fudge, gravy, corn, and random other foods every year.

This year I don't think I will be celebrating it with my cousins though, which is very unfortunate because we have been getting together every Thanksgiving and Christmas since I was about six years old. My cousins have seven kids in their family, the four oldest are in college now and the three oldest are either married or engaged (and the two oldest are with child). Was that confusing at all? I can explain it better if you want hehe. But, more or less, we're getting to old and thereby too busy to have everyone work it into their schedules to meet together every year :(.

But aside from that, as far as school goes, I'd say things are going pretty well. Things are getting crazy with the end of the semester approaching, but I think I have just enough gas in the tank to make it to our break. How about you all?

2 comments:

Yuki Ando said...

I think, thanksgiving isn't popular for most of Japanese, so unfortunately we usually don't celebrate it.

However, I'm curious how do you celebrate that day.
Do you have any special food like Christmas?

Chris said...

Gah, sumimasen, I am horrible at checking my previous posts =(. Yes, there are a couple of special foods, though nothing specific. I think the turkey is the trademark, although various kinds of pies, corn, and gravy are also popular. More or less, Thanksgiving is a day celebrated by having a huge feast... I think it is supposed to be recreational of how the Indians and pilgrims got together and had a meal, but I cannot say for sure. I think that is what they told me in 1st grade X).